Luck (or lack thereof)

Statistics show that 1 out of every 5 first pregnancies will result in miscarriage. If you are unfortunate enough to be that "1" than your odds for a successful pregnancy the next time around increase. Only 1 out of every 25 pregnancies after 1 miscarriage will result in another one. And if you are that "1" then you are... what? unlucky?

It's really no surprise to me that our consecutive miscarriages are being described as what seems to be "bad luck". This isn't me being a Debbie Downer, this is me just stating the obvious: I typically don't have the best of luck. And you know what? I don't mind it being a case of bad luck because it totally beats the alternative, which would mean that something was wrong with either the hubs or I and we would continue to miscarry. Yeah, I'll take the bad luck.

After discussing our options with the doctor we have all come to the same conclusion: We will try again, naturally. We have no problem getting pregnant, it's just staying pregnant that gives us some trouble. Sure there are tests that can be done (very expensive and extensive ones) but since our miscarriages were so different the doctor doesn't think those tests are necessary at this point. There doesn't appear to be anything in my body causing these miscarriages, just random chromosomal mishaps.

So in a couple of months, once my body has fully recovered, we will start this journey again. We are ready for anything that life throws our way and will continue to keep our spirits up. Keep us in your prayers :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey..I'm just going back and reading these because I just discovered your blog when you started following mine. lol. I didn't know that you had a second miscarriage. My heart goes out to you and Kevin..but I think it's awesome that you're not giving up cause I know you'll be great parents.
    Since I'm just on this one and have a lot more to read, I hope I don't say something that might have been later discussed..but have them check your progesterone levels if they already haven't. Since I already had a slew of female problems, my doc gave me the run down before I even got pregnant..and low progesterone was something I was dealing with. It causes a lot of ppl to miscarry in the first trimester. Once I got pregnant, I already knew that was an issue for me so they put me on a supplement for the first 12 weeks and I did fine with it. So, it could be just luck..or it could be something like that that is an easy fix. Good luck..don't give up hope!! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails